Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday!!

+3
Bethany
meether369
Angie
7 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Sunday!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunday!!

Post by Bethany Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

It makes me feel old to realize that I'm 2 years older than the character Julia Roberts played in My Best Friends Wedding.
Bethany
Bethany

http://studyincontradictions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Hah! Wow, yeah, that's weird! I can't remember what movie it is, but I saw one recently that I loved as a kid/teen and in it, they made reference to being old and they were 30 and I remember the whole thing blowing my mind. Like, I know as a kid I probably agreed, and seeing it now I was so excited for a reminder of my youth and fond memories and was totally blindsided by the insult that came too!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:39 pm

So, my brother and the girls came over to do laundry so Anveigh and I ran into gresham (pammeigh didn't want to go). We went to mcdonalds and she fell asleep eating french fries. Then we went to petco for rabbit pellets and I had to explain why we called them pellets... we also looked at all the small animals and then the birds and we named all the birds.
Then we went to The Dollar tree for some toys and Sally's beauty supply and then we stopped at dairy queen for ice cream.
Now I have bbq meatloaf and roasted potatoes in the oven.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Wow, busy day!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Yeah... I would have rather stayed in bed all day.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm

I am taking the day off tomorrow. It's just been a really taxing 10 days and my hip is really hurting me.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm sorry. I hope you can get some rest tomorrow.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:04 am

It's gonna be a short week for me! Two more days of work and I'm off for two solid days!! Of course I work 40 hours in the four days after I return, but oh well, live it up when you can right?

Headed off to see a friend in Grand Rapids Michigan, hopefully the weather is good for the drive! Two days of watching bad horror flicks and laughing my butt off! It's what we do. Laughing
Pete
Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 am

Sounds like a fun day with Anveigh though! I love that you guys named all the birds Smile
Bethany
Bethany

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 am

Bethany wrote:Sounds like a fun day with Anveigh though! I love that you guys named all the birds Smile

Well, she wanted to know what their names were, so we just started pickign words off of signs... some of them had names, but some didn't... so we had Petco and Handling (as in bird handling).
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:34 pm

meether369 wrote:Family drama is reaching a high pitch but I think there is some resolution in sight so that is good.

I am kind of feeling low as a result of this past week, too, Angie. I don't think needing a few moments to yourself on a regular basis is selfish at all. We need to remember ourselves and remember our God regularly to get through this life. It is all the more important when things are hard, I think.

The series at church right now is abour inrerruptions in life and today's message was on how important the GOOD interruptions are, the surprise parties of life that God gives us to remind us of joy and hope. I need a surprise party right now. And maybe you do too. I am praying for clarity in this next week to see the moments and embrace them as such.
things are so hectic here that I have not even been able to get on the computer to make any responses!

But you are right, Melissa....we do need to have time that is just with God....it gives us strength for these times.

I pray that you have clarity as well....and I think I will pray the same thing for myself!

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 am

:ere we are again! Sunday Morning! There is something so joyful about this morning, set apart from the other mornings of the week. It really is a special day. And when I feel this, i wonder if it is because I have grown up in the Christian tradition and so the thought of church and community excites me or if there so something supernatural going on that I am just feeling because I am part of creation. Or maybe it's a little of both...

Anyway, I had a really good conversation again with my grandma at breakfast and I am going to hang out with friends watching the Dallas game after church, so it is a good day! Hope it is good for you all too! MT, if you read this, sorry, but I am not rooting for Dallas!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Nate and I had a lovely Sunday morning, we made breakfast and then headed out into the institute for some hiking and then to the bookstore, and we wandered our way home over the back roads....and now we are going to take all of the kids out for a late lunch, so we all get some time together....it was a lovely and relaxing little vacation.

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:40 pm

That's fantastic, Angie!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm

I almost feel guilty for the whoopin Dallas just received...wow. I have no real affinity for the Vikings, but that was impressive.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:43 pm

meether369 wrote:I almost feel guilty for the whoopin Dallas just received...wow. I have no real affinity for the Vikings, but that was impressive.

I called home this morning and apparently my dad was quite excited about the vikings win... just out of general wondering... why do people not like dallas?
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Katykc wrote:
meether369 wrote:I almost feel guilty for the whoopin Dallas just received...wow. I have no real affinity for the Vikings, but that was impressive.

I called home this morning and apparently my dad was quite excited about the vikings win... just out of general wondering... why do people not like dallas?

Probably bigger fans are more elegible to respond to this, but the feeling I get is that they are hated because they've been known to hold onto dynasties--when they get to the top, they tend to stay there for quite a while. Like the Yankees in baseball, etc.

But, I think there are also a number of rivalries that stem from the early days of pro football. And, I think because TX has such a thing about football, their fans can be somewhat obnoxious so other fans like to see them brought down a few pegs. (Just some slight ribbing there for MT, if he reads this thread... ;))

Personally, I don't get the Romo craze, and I hate the star of old and the basic D of late. You know, the REAL reasons to evaluate a team! ;)
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 pm

My power went out for about an hour today thanks to a car accident (no one hurt). But I wasn't sure what happened and saw my neighbors to the right out talking on the sidewalk. So I wandered out and was reminded yet again why I don't really talk to them a lot. They made some seriously terrible racist remarks about at least 3 different people groups and some really super sexist and derogatory remarks about women too.
I gasp audibly and said, "whelp, I'm going back inside." Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?!
Bethany
Bethany

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Hmm, doesn't sound fun. I have perfectly nice neighbors I never talk to myself...

I was hoping to avoid it (kind of) but I have been sucked into the world of the Golden Globes. And FB Uno...

And my dog is sleeping next to me and has gas that smells like a hair perm. SO BAD!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:54 pm

meether369 wrote:
Katykc wrote:

Probably bigger fans are more elegible to respond to this, but the feeling I get is that they are hated because they've been known to hold onto dynasties--when they get to the top, they tend to stay there for quite a while. Like the Yankees in baseball, etc.

But, I think there are also a number of rivalries that stem from the early days of pro football. And, I think because TX has such a thing about football, their fans can be somewhat obnoxious so other fans like to see them brought down a few pegs. (Just some slight ribbing there for MT, if he reads this thread... Wink)

Personally, I don't get the Romo craze, and I hate the star of old and the basic D of late. You know, the REAL reasons to evaluate a team! Wink

For the record, I don't usually read the threads simply titled with a day of the week, so if anyone says something like this (mentions me personally) don't be offended if I don't reply. I prefer single-purpose threads.

But I happened to see this one and will reply. When Dallas won their 2nd Super Bowl in 1977, the NFL called them America's Team. It wasn't the Cowboys who chose this name; it was the NFL. I think up to that point, nobody had a real problem with them. They were just another team.

In the 80's, they didn't win, but they had some cocaine and other troubles, and people who already were predisposed to hating them jumped on that. I saw this first-hand in the Army, where I was surrounded by people from all over the country. People were still upset over the America's Team thing, and then there was a popular TV show called Dallas. Next thing you know, outsiders start saying that we all have an oil well, and we like to dole out the death penalty a little too generously, etc. A lot of it was false or exaggerated, but once it's out there, perception becomes reality.

Then in the 90's, they got good again, and won 3 SBs in 4 years. During that time, they had an owner who was terrible on camera (Jerry Jones), and a group of players who got into legal trouble. That might have fueled the fire anyway, but especially did so because of the 3 wins in that 4-year span.

What's interesting to me is how that hatred had stayed, considering they hadn't even won one single playoff game in 15 years till last week. But people like having a bad guy to root against. In baseball, it's the Yankees. In soap operas, wrestling, movies, you name it: there's a guy you love to hate. In pro football, it's the Cowboys. Just the way it is.

As for Tony Romo, the reason he was a sensation at first is because he was undrafted out of a small college and rose from 4th-string to starter. His was a nice underdog story, like Rudy or Rocky. But then it turned out that although he was dang good for a 4th-string undrafted guy, he wasn't an elite QB on the same level as Manning or Brady. Again, it wasn't his fault the media made him out to be better than he was. He's still better than the majority of starting QBs. But because he was built up by the media, his coming down to earth has made some people regard him negatively, when in fact, they shouldn't. But that's the way it is.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

http://www.middletree.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:12 am

he can smell a thread that mentions his name AND sports. Laughing

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 am

Angie wrote:he can smell a thread that mentions his name AND sports. :lol:

Hah!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:41 am

Angie wrote:he can smell a thread that mentions his name AND sports. Laughing
Laughing tongue
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

http://www.middletree.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:31 pm

So, I went to the coffee shop today during Sunday school hour, armed with The Allure of Hope, The Message, and my journal....I did some serious journaling, and then when I went to church, God really used everything to work in relation to what I was journaling about....it was pretty amazing.

Thanks so much for the books, Melissa!

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Went to church today and then stayed for the congregational meeting and was frustrated with the board president who seems to be trying to push his own agenda and forgetting about the will of the people. It's a good thing we've got some really strong members willing to go up against him. We're looking at spending some more serious renovation money and he seems to be trying to push for more.
Pete
Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next