Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something to look forward to

3 posters

Go down

Something to look forward to Empty Something to look forward to

Post by JamesWilliams Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36 am

There's a very inspiring message in the monthly newsletter from Ransomed Heart/John Eldredge. He starts by reminding us that the real Christmas story is not a sentimental one, but a war story. Like Band of Brothers, it's an account of Jesus dropping in behind enemy lines. It's an invasion, followed by a rescue. Then he describes a History Channel WWII documentary he recently watched, and writes this:

=====================
Then came an episode I was totally unprepared for.

The screen simply announced the date: May 8, 1945.

The scenes were first from Paris, then London. Again, much of it home footage. Thousands of joyful faces pouring spontaneously onto the Champs-Élysées. Soldiers being kissed by young girls, aircraft flying in formation overhead, elderly men and women waving small flags. They were celebrating the end of the war. Hitler was dead; Nazi Germany surrendered. VE – victory in Europe day. The celebrations were so utterly unscripted, so purely joyful by people who had every reason to be joyful.

I was overcome by emotion. It caught me totally off guard. I had been riveted by the battle footage, the courage and sacrifice and horrors of war. It all felt very, very familiar. But not the scenes of celebration. Up till that moment I had watched with a sort of sober fascination and respect. But here, now, as the streets literally overflowed with souls in a raucous party, champagne corks flying, people dancing, laughing, weeping, this is what brought the lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

What I realized, for the first time in a very long time, was this: The Great Battle will also come to an end. Our day of celebration is coming. It seemed too good to be true. I’ve been so caught up in the fight – in skirmishes great and small, some on a grand scale and some those inner struggles no one else sees – so completely caught up in it I had forgotten that the war will end. We will have our “VE” day.

==========================

and later, he writes

============================

Christmas is the invasion. It is Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima and Normandy. Most of you have accepted this by now, and you have entered into the Great Battle. An hour after watching the WWII series, I picked up Chesterton and read this: “Unless we understand the presence of the enemy, we shall not only miss the point of Christianity, but we shall miss the point of Christmas…the abrupt bells at midnight sound like the great guns of a battle that has just been won.”

For we are closer now to the end of the war than we are to Bethlehem. Victory is ours; that is promised. Bethlehem was the opening salvo, but also the signal of the end to the dark prince’s reign. This Battle is drawing to an end, dear friends. Let that sink in. And O, what rejoicing will take place. Corks flying, angels overhead in formation, people laughing and crying and dancing and kissing one another. That day is coming. That day is ours, and it is coming. Normandy is well behind us; we have crossed the Rhine . This is how I will celebrate Christmas.

========================

To read the entire newsletter, go to

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

http://www.middletree.net

Back to top Go down

Something to look forward to Empty Re: Something to look forward to

Post by meether369 Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks, MT. I am eating dinner by myself in a restaurant, obsessed with my cell phone and now crying!!! I don't look odd at all!

But, really, that is a beautiful thought. And so timely. I can't wait for our VE day!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:01 pm

You know, MT, this thoughthas really rested in my mind and heart over the last week. It has come back to me in numerous quiet moments and then at church on Tuesday as the band crescendoed in a major rock-out to "O Holy Night" it felt like the glorious entrance of a rescuing King!

Thank you very much for sharing!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:47 pm

meether369 wrote:You know, MT, this thoughthas really rested in my mind and heart over the last week. It has come back to me in numerous quiet moments and then at church on Tuesday as the band crescendoed in a major rock-out to "O Holy Night" it felt like the glorious entrance of a rescuing King!

Thank you very much for sharing!
I'm glad it had an impact on you. It sure did on me when I read it.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

http://www.middletree.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tizzle Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:02 pm

meether369 wrote:Thanks, MT. I am eating dinner by myself in a restaurant, obsessed with my cell phone and now crying!!! I don't look odd at all!

Keep telling yourself that, Melsy.

I agree, though. Awesome postage, Mr. Jim.
tizzle
tizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum