Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping

5 posters

Go down

Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping Empty Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping

Post by JasonM Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 am

Headline

Central Valley Baptist Church in Ohio members get arrested for kidnapping haitians

can we say

sssstupid

JMC
JasonM
JasonM

http://lanier801.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping Empty Re: Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping

Post by JamesWilliams Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:54 am

Don't be so quick to judge them. The kids were given to them by their parents in hopes that they would have a better future. The group taking them is a bunch of Baptist missionaries carrying out their parents' wishes. Their "crime" was not having their paperwork in order.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

http://www.middletree.net

Back to top Go down

Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping Empty Re: Baptists Get arrested for kidnapping

Post by meether369 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 am

So, if I just gave you a kid, you would just take it to another country to give it a better life without making sure the proper steps had been taken?

I am not judging them, but, without following the proper channels, it makes all the sense in the world that they are feeling the pressure of the law. In some things, it doesn't matter what motive you have, it's how you get it done.

Because, Sex traders are taking children under false pretenses and without proper paperwork all the time. Why would anyone taking a CHILD not want to do it in the right manner?
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 am

meether369 wrote:So, if I just gave you a kid, you would just take it to another country to give it a better life without making sure the proper steps had been taken?

I am not judging them, but, without following the proper channels, it makes all the sense in the world that they are feeling the pressure of the law. In some things, it doesn't matter what motive you have, it's how you get it done.

Because, Sex traders are taking children under false pretenses and without proper paperwork all the time. Why would anyone taking a CHILD not want to do it in the right manner?
It's easy to judge from our (American) perspective. But remember that Haiti barely had a functioning government before the quake. It's chaos now. It might have been unwise to not have all the paperwork in order, but like I said, the parents handed these kids to the missionaries.

At the very least, this story is being misreported as being about human trafficking.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 am

Does anyone have any sources having to do with this... any articles, etc?
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks Smile
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 pm

So, I don't think they were stupid... but there was an extreme case of unorganization. Whether or not the government is in crisis, they should have figured out what needed to be done first. Technically, they weren't even adopting the kids, they were taking them to a childrens home in a different country... which, in all honesty, sounds really fishy to me. I mean, they may have meant well, but it wasn't a well planned and executed situation. Especially with children just dissapearring out of hospitals and camps... it's logical for the country officials to be over cautious. Yes, the parents were willingly giving them their children, but I think they could have done a better job of dealing with it. I don't however think they were trafficking...
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I agree, Katy, but I'm not convinced we need to put anyone in jail for being unorganized or unwise. We build prisons to hosue people who are dangerous to society. That's my whole problem with this thing. Let's keep prison cells free to put actual criminals in there who need to be separated from the rest of civilization.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

I don't think so either... but I can understand the concern the government had.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonM Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 am

I think its pompous that some americans think we have it so good here that we can go to haiti and take children to a different land

were not any better than the haitians and until we get that in our mind we will never change anything.

wrong may they be, thats just my thoughts.
JasonM
JasonM

http://lanier801.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 am

I disagree. We are more blessed in America in terms of quality of life.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 pm

and the other thing you have to consider is that Haiti is in horrible disarray right now, maybe they weren't thinking of bringing them here forever?

I don't know much about it....I know myself and that I would want to bring the kids home with me...

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:31 pm

well, they weren't taking them home... they were taking them to a kids home in another country where they would eventually find adoptive parents...

I don't think it's so bad though, to go into a country that had a high percentage of orphans living on the street even before the earthquake... and there was a high rate of child trafficking before the earthquake... and to try and find them a better place to live and better homes in a country that would give them more opportunities. Their hearts were in the right place... the bible tells us to protect the orphans... that's what they were trying to do .
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 pm

I agree that their intentions were probably good and I see no problem with doing it.

I just think they should have done it properly and been above and beyond reproach if they were going to do it. It seems ridiculous to me that anyone could think it is okay to just take children with only verbal consent of the parents. I mean, how would you even know for sure that the children actually belonged to the parents giving them away?

In Haiti or not, I would expect there to be paperwork involved if I were going to take a child from his or her parents. And it just kind of surprises me that they didn't look into that. And without looking into it, it makes sense that they would be prosecuted.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Possibly, this is why governmental officials are taking issues like this seriously:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum