Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chocolate and Slavery

+3
JamesWilliams
Angie
Katykc
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chocolate and Slavery - Page 2 Empty Re: Chocolate and Slavery

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Yup. I think a lot of it is obviously economics too. The things that are generally priced the most reasonably are the ones that are, unfortunately, made in countries where they're using cheap, if not forced, labor.

For instance, most clothing made in the US, if you can find any, is much more highly priced than clothing made in Viet Nam, Pakistan or wherever.

I'm not sure what the answer is. That's the dilemma. We often see the problem, but not the solution.
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

http://www.bobhavey.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm

My hope is that, in response to our lull in economy, we might actually become a nation that produces for itself again. You know, there was a day when we made our own TVs, toasters, clothing, food, etc. The pendulum might be swinging back! That's my hope anyway.

In Detroit, there are miles and miles of city blocks that are barren...like wide open fields. They used to be neighborhoods but the houses and buildings are all gone. I think it would be cool if they re-mastered that land into farms. It actually all has plumbing and electricity run to it, so it might be actually be easy to run!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Being the old fart in the group - I remember when nearly everything we bought was made here. Then 'Made in Japan' was the big thing. Now nearly everything we buy is made elsewhere and it's all about money - like most things.

I can remember my dad being upset that his company was giving tours to Japanese executives - showing them our manufacturing processes, etc. He used to say that 'soon they'll be making everything we make - and cheaper - and then we'll be out of business. He was right. Within 10 years the Japanese took over the industry and his plant closed.

I like your farm idea, Mel. I lived in a semi-commune in the sixties and we were nearly self-sufficient with the exception of utilites and things like that.
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm

And I think at this point, items being cheaper doesn't matter--we need to re-employ all these people!!!! Especially with all of the "Buy Local" push going on, I bet we could get it turned around...
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

meether369 wrote:And I think at this point, items being cheaper doesn't matter--we need to re-employ all these people!!!! Especially with all of the "Buy Local" push going on, I bet we could get it turned around...

You'd hope that people would take the jobs that have been exported. I'm not sure though. I think unions had their place in helping the little guy back in the day - but now? Not sure!

Money IS the root of all evil.
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:53 pm

TheGreat&TerribleBob wrote:
meether369 wrote:And I think at this point, items being cheaper doesn't matter--we need to re-employ all these people!!!! Especially with all of the "Buy Local" push going on, I bet we could get it turned around...

You'd hope that people would take the jobs that have been exported. I'm not sure though. I think unions had their place in helping the little guy back in the day - but now? Not sure!

Money IS the root of all evil.

as a union member, I agree whole-heartedly with you. Now we need to UNITE as a country of individuals and tell our stinkin government we are dying here!!!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Agreed.
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Bob... you lived in a commune? you really were a hippy weren't you?
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Unions are okay, but they can really contribute to laziness....in some ways they were the downfall of industry, and a large part of the reason that we now buy so many foreign goods.

There has to be some middle ground. I don't know what the solutions are, but it would be nice to see more made in the USA stuff.

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm

As a member of one, I see no positive reason why they still exist.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm

I think what is also difficult is it's not like the chocolate is grown in the u.s. So the companies even the local ones, need to import from somewhere... so it's harder to try and find something that you know cruelty free, or local... etc.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Katykc wrote:I think what is also difficult is it's not like the chocolate is grown in the u.s. So the companies even the local ones, need to import from somewhere... so it's harder to try and find something that you know cruelty free, or local... etc.

True, true. And I don't think we can be completely free of everything in every area. Just knowing is half the battle.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 am

Yuh, those pesky chocolate trees just won't grow here for some reason. Razz
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content