Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Mosques in 30 Days

2 posters

Go down

30 Mosques in 30 Days Empty 30 Mosques in 30 Days

Post by dave Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53 am

Cool blog. These two Muslim guys are traveling the country during Ramadan, attending a different Mosque each day:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's the entry from my old hometown, Jacksonville, Fl. (Funny, I used to eat at that "The Sheik" restaurant all the time during the first couple years of college. It was right around the corner and had pretty good sandwiches and burgers for cheap.):

dave
dave

Back to top Go down

30 Mosques in 30 Days Empty Re: 30 Mosques in 30 Days

Post by meether369 Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Very interesting.

We have a HUGE arab population here in MI. Supposedly the largest outside of the Middle East. We have arabic restaurants every mile or 2. They're like McyD's here.

Not really, but we have a lot. A local high school football does their practices from 10PM-5AM during Ramadon because the kids can't eat in the daylight. There are enough muslim kids on the team to change the schedule. Pretty impressive.

None of this has to do with the blog. But oh well!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:48 pm

meether369 wrote:Very interesting.

We have a HUGE arab population here in MI. Supposedly the largest outside of the Middle East. We have arabic restaurants every mile or 2. They're like McyD's here.

Not really, but we have a lot. A local high school football does their practices from 10PM-5AM during Ramadon because the kids can't eat in the daylight. There are enough muslim kids on the team to change the schedule. Pretty impressive.

None of this has to do with the blog. But oh well!

Yeah, Megan has told me about the large population there (and we had an Iraqi-American family from that area-one of Megan's best friends and her parents-at our wedding). I also just saw this reality show the other night where a Christian guy from West Virginia went to live with a Muslim Family in Dearborn, MI, for 30 days. I think Megan downloaded it from iTunes for free, but I found a copy of the show online:

Pretty interesting.
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:14 pm

There is definitely the whole Dearborn experience. It is very interesting.

But, even more interesting to me is where I live. It is on the outskirts of one of the most affluent areas. And the primary ethnic groups represented here are Jews and Arabs. It's like they were drawn to the same 10 miles here in Michigan. There is a corner where 3 different synagogues are within a block of each other and where Arabs regularly come to protest Mid-East issues. It's a bit of a powder keg. But, both of the groups are very wealthy and very much involved in the "American Way." So that adds an even weirder element to the whole scene. Like, I think if their comrades from their countries saw the way these people live and act they would not identify at all with them. It actually makes me kind of sad--the whole issue.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down