Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What movie have you seen lately?

+9
hollydog22
dave
transparentman
Angie
Katykc
Pete
meether369
Bethany
JamesWilliams
13 posters

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

What movie have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: What movie have you seen lately?

Post by dave Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 am

meether369 wrote:Comedian--i really liked Seinfeld's part; the whole "getting back into the game" thing was intriguing. The young guy, though, annoyed the hell out of me.

I love that movie. It was also, personally, very inspiring to me. And I would even say that there was a ton of practical stuff that I got from it that was easily applicable to being a musician.

Oh, and I agree, Orny was really annoying. But definitely did show the difference between a serious, seasoned pro like Seinfeld, and a more ego-driven (though talented) younger comedian.
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

What movie have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: What movie have you seen lately?

Post by meether369 Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:06 am

dave wrote:
meether369 wrote:Comedian--i really liked Seinfeld's part; the whole "getting back into the game" thing was intriguing. The young guy, though, annoyed the hell out of me.

I love that movie. It was also, personally, very inspiring to me. And I would even say that there was a ton of practical stuff that I got from it that was easily applicable to being a musician.

Oh, and I agree, Orny was really annoying. But definitely did show the difference between a serious, seasoned pro like Seinfeld, and a more ego-driven (though talented) younger comedian.

I mentioned something that I really liked in the Praise Report thread--when Seinfeld is talking to Orny who is complaining about his career and Seinfeld says, "What would you have rather been doing with this time?" or something like that. I really liked that part. And I thought the scene between him and Cosby was cool, too.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 am

meether369 wrote:
dave wrote:

I mentioned something that I really liked in the Praise Report thread--when Seinfeld is talking to Orny who is complaining about his career and Seinfeld says, "What would you have rather been doing with this time?" or something like that. I really liked that part. And I thought the scene between him and Cosby was cool, too.

Yeah, I absolutely love those scenes where Jerry puts Orny in his place. It reminds me of the times when that has occured to me; when an older, wiser musician spoke straight-up truth to me, in a way that was so direct that it almost stings, but is really a good thing. And then to see Jerry go see Cosby was so great too because it shows how Jerry is still a student, and has that respect of his elders, where he just wants to take whatever they have to give and to learn from them. Seeing him and Chris Rock talking about Cosby reminded me so much of when my friends and I sit around talking about Coltrane or somebody like that.

I also like the part where Orny is hanging out w/ George Shapiro backstage in Canada and that other comedian comes in the room and gives some advice to Orny. Orny is not willing to hear it and gets mad at Shapiro for not defending him. Shapiro's reply, that there wasn't anything said that he would disagree with, stings Orny (you can totally see it in his face immediately). That's truth for ya!
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:26 am

dave wrote:
meether369 wrote:
dave wrote:

Yeah, I absolutely love those scenes where Jerry puts Orny in his place. It reminds me of the times when that has occured to me; when an older, wiser musician spoke straight-up truth to me, in a way that was so direct that it almost stings, but is really a good thing. And then to see Jerry go see Cosby was so great too because it shows how Jerry is still a student, and has that respect of his elders, where he just wants to take whatever they have to give and to learn from them. Seeing him and Chris Rock talking about Cosby reminded me so much of when my friends and I sit around talking about Coltrane or somebody like that.

I also like the part where Orny is hanging out w/ George Shapiro backstage in Canada and that other comedian comes in the room and gives some advice to Orny. Orny is not willing to hear it and gets mad at Shapiro for not defending him. Shapiro's reply, that there wasn't anything said that he would disagree with, stings Orny (you can totally see it in his face immediately). That's truth for ya!

It kind of makes me think, seeing Seinfeld's attitude and Orny's, that Orny isn't going to make it. I wonder if that is what they wanted the message to be. To show what kind of attitude gets you to 'legendary' and what kind of attitude gets you bitter and self-absorbed.

From the moment they showed Orny--in his office showing all his writing--I thought, "Wow, this guy is entirely too into himself!" and it just kept getting worse!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:32 am

meether369 wrote:
dave wrote:
meether369 wrote:
dave wrote:

It kind of makes me think, seeing Seinfeld's attitude and Orny's, that Orny isn't going to make it. I wonder if that is what they wanted the message to be. To show what kind of attitude gets you to 'legendary' and what kind of attitude gets you bitter and self-absorbed.

From the moment they showed Orny--in his office showing all his writing--I thought, "Wow, this guy is entirely too into himself!" and it just kept getting worse!

Yeah, I think it all depends on whether Orny takes any of these lessons to heart. Hopefully he's grown up a bit since making that movie.
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:35 am

They had a portion in the special features about where he is now, but I couldn't stomach watching it!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am

meether369 wrote:They had a portion in the special features about where he is now, but I couldn't stomach watching it!

Yeah, he's still out there workin' it:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 am

dave wrote:
meether369 wrote:They had a portion in the special features about where he is now, but I couldn't stomach watching it!

Yeah, he's still out there workin' it:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I just went and looked at that!!! Hah! Shapiro isn't his manager anymore!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Hoping to see Avatar in 3D tonight, but might settle for The Princess and the Frog.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:52 pm

meether369 wrote:Hoping to see Avatar in 3D tonight, but might settle for The Princess and the Frog.

Ended up getting into Avatar in 3D--it was AWESOME!!!
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am

meether369 wrote:
meether369 wrote:Hoping to see Avatar in 3D tonight, but might settle for The Princess and the Frog.

Someone said it was like Dances with Wolves, on another planet
Bethany
Bethany

http://studyincontradictions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:44 am

Bethany wrote:
meether369 wrote:

Someone said it was like Dances with Wolves, on another planet

Yeah, I could see that.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:49 am

I'll probably just end up seeing it on video unless other people want to see it and want me to go with them (2 things that are pretty unlikely to happen....)
Bethany
Bethany

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:53 am

Bethany wrote:I'll probably just end up seeing it on video unless other people want to see it and want me to go with them (2 things that are pretty unlikely to happen....)

It was pretty cool to see it in 3D. I haven't seen a 3D movie in decades.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesWilliams Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 am

We have a 3D IMAX theater in Dallas, and it's in describable. Last thing I saw there was the U2 concert in 3D.

Not terribly interested in Avatar, though.
JamesWilliams
JamesWilliams

http://www.middletree.net

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:13 am

JamesWilliams wrote:We have a 3D IMAX theater in Dallas, and it's in describable. Last thing I saw there was the U2 concert in 3D.

Not terribly interested in Avatar, though.

Yeah, I went to an Imax 3D. It was intense. definitely.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by hollydog22 Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:24 pm

I saw "The Princess and the Frog" the other night...LOVE IT! I'm a huge Disney fan and this is definitely going to be one of my favs.

I'm also hoping to go see Sherlock Holmes tomorrow...maybe after spending time with family I'll go to a late show...Robert Downey Jr + Jude Law = double hawtness!
hollydog22
hollydog22

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:53 pm

hollydog22 wrote:I saw "The Princess and the Frog" the other night...LOVE IT! I'm a huge Disney fan and this is definitely going to be one of my favs.

I'm also hoping to go see Sherlock Holmes tomorrow...maybe after spending time with family I'll go to a late show...Robert Downey Jr + Jude Law = double hawtness!

Amen!
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Watched The Proposal again last night. I forgot how funny Betty White was...
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by hollydog22 Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Katykc wrote:Watched The Proposal again last night. I forgot how funny Betty White was...

My sis-in-law and I saw that a few months ago and loved it! hilarious! The entire theater was laughing so loudly we missed some parts, but it was awesome!
hollydog22
hollydog22

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Katykc wrote:Watched The Proposal again last night. I forgot how funny Betty White was...

I have it on my Netflix queue...
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:43 pm

I floippin love Betty White!
Bethany
Bethany

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:45 am

Alvin & the Chipmunks the Squeakquel. So cute and very funny! Love those Chipettes!
Bethany
Bethany

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Sherlock Holmes-- I liked it a lot.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:05 pm

500 Days of Summer. Not my favorite.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next