Harbor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Reading?

+5
Katykc
Angie
hollydog22
meether369
Bethany
9 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

What Are You Reading? - Page 7 Empty Re: What Are You Reading?

Post by meether369 Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Angie wrote:
dave wrote:

Almost done with "A Child called It." It's one of the most horrific things I've ever read. I mean, not the writing (well, the writing isn't amazing - but it almost doesn't matter) but the content. It documents one of the worst cases of child abuse ever recorded. It's hard to fathom how Pelzer's mother could have treated him the way she did. Some of it literally made me sick to my stomach. Just grotesque, straight up evil shit.

Leaf read that last year for school....pretty horrifying for a teenager to read....it was a really sad book.

When I was working at the high school, all the kids were reading that. I wouldn't be able to take it, I don't think. I read one when I was younger called "They Cage the Animals at Night" which was similar and it was difficult. Pelzer's family (including his siblings) have denounced his story--which I think is kind of interesting.

I just read about a 4 year old who was beaten to death by his mom's boyfriend for having an accident on the couch. People can do horrific things.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:30 pm

TheGreat&TerribleBob wrote:Cat got your tongue, Melsie?

aww, shut your pie hole old man.

It was a technical error.

Interestingly, only 2 people have ever called me Melsie and you both were from the Boston area. Hmmm...
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 pm

meether369 wrote:
Angie wrote:
dave wrote:

Almost done with "A Child called It." It's one of the most horrific things I've ever read. I mean, not the writing (well, the writing isn't amazing - but it almost doesn't matter) but the content. It documents one of the worst cases of child abuse ever recorded. It's hard to fathom how Pelzer's mother could have treated him the way she did. Some of it literally made me sick to my stomach. Just grotesque, straight up evil shit.

Leaf read that last year for school....pretty horrifying for a teenager to read....it was a really sad book.

When I was working at the high school, all the kids were reading that. I wouldn't be able to take it, I don't think. I read one when I was younger called "They Cage the Animals at Night" which was similar and it was difficult. Pelzer's family (including his siblings) have denounced his story--which I think is kind of interesting.

Yeah, I've read some of the controversy. I'm not sure what to believe. I think there must've been at least some abuse, but if it was to the extent documented in the book, I don't know. His younger brother, Richard Pelzer, says David's story is true and has written his own 2 books documenting their mother's abuse of himself as well once David was taken away and put into foster care. But the 3 other brothers and the grandma have disputed his story.

I have read some things about David that made it sound that he really is out to make a ton of money and become famous. He apparantly charges crazy amounts of money to speak. And he buys thousands of copies of his own books at discounted rates and then sells them full-price at his talks.

Regardless, if even a fraction of the book is true, it's pretty horrible.
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 am

I just finished Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman. It wasn't the most spectacularly written book, but it was it was heartfelt and honest. As heartbreaking as it was, it was also full of hope and spoke deeply to me. It actually led me to going back to church and joining a small group last week.

I'm now reading Battlefield of the Mind by joyce Meyer. We are doing the workbook in small group and I thought I would go ahead and read the book.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:46 am

Wow, that's great, Katy. I can't imagine what they went through, but if their story is inspiring, and filled with hope, praise God!

I am reading Crazy Love and a book called, The Fatal Embrace: Christians, Jews, and the Search for Peace in the Holy Land by Mark Braverman.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:15 am

That sounds like a great book Katy!

I just finished the HP series, read a few other fiction books and am now reading Fearless by Max Lucado for a small group and When a Woman Meets God just in general, but I'm thinking I'll probably lead a small group reading that book the next round because it's so good.

Also reading Sacred Journey by Buechner on the side when I need a break from the other 2 books.
Bethany
Bethany

http://studyincontradictions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Has anyone read, The Last Lecture? I heard it was really good - and it was a NY Times Bestseller, but I had a tough time getting through it. A bit dry for my tastes.

It definitely was NOT a book that I had a hard time putting down. I actually had a hard time picking it back up to finish it.

I was expecting much more. Maybe my expectations were too high.

TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

http://www.bobhavey.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethany Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 pm

My sister loved that book, I never read it though
Bethany
Bethany

http://studyincontradictions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Hmmm. Maybe it's me - but I really don't get the hype. I really didn't care for it at all. Oh well - different strokes for different folks.
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm

well, isn't that the one by Randy Pousch or whatever? I think that the story endeared people to the book. And putting that emotion behind it probably kept people interested in it. I have intended to read it, but have not.

I am currently reading a trashy collection of thriller crime stories by various authors.

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I thought it was a book based on a lecture? so technically, it's a lecture written down.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Katykc wrote:I thought it was a book based on a lecture? so technically, it's a lecture written down.
it is. But he did the lecture in the knowledge that he was going to die leaving his wife and two young sons. It is sort of a legacy for them, I believe.

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Angie wrote:
Katykc wrote:I thought it was a book based on a lecture? so technically, it's a lecture written down.
it is. But he did the lecture in the knowledge that he was going to die leaving his wife and two young sons. It is sort of a legacy for them, I believe.

i knew that.. but i'm wondering if that is why bob is having a difficult time getting into it.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Maybe his frail old mind is just having a hard time grasping things anymore....? Laughing

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Angie wrote:Maybe his frail old mind is just having a hard time grasping things anymore....? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

It isn't the lecture written down. Not even close. The book is totally separate from the lecture. He refers to the lecture, but that's not the major part of the book.

Considering the topic, I expected much more.
It wasn't compelling at all. I was disappointed.
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Katykc Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:49 pm

TheGreat&TerribleBob wrote:It isn't the lecture written down. Not even close. The book is totally separate from the lecture. He refers to the lecture, but that's not the major part of the book.

ooohhh... gotcha. nevermind then.
Katykc
Katykc

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreat&TerribleBob Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Katykc wrote:
TheGreat&TerribleBob wrote:It isn't the lecture written down. Not even close. The book is totally separate from the lecture. He refers to the lecture, but that's not the major part of the book.

ooohhh... gotcha. nevermind then.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
TheGreat&TerribleBob
TheGreat&TerribleBob

Back to top Go down

Post by meether369 Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I read it and it didn't last with me at all. I remember not feeling too amazed by it at the time of reading it too.
meether369
meether369

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Let's see...

Lance Armstrong's book, "It's Not About the Bike" - interesting (especially the bike racing stuff) and somewhat inspiring, but man that guy's got an ego the size of Texas! And the writing is just so so.

Dead Man Walking by Sister Helen Prejean - Phenomenal. I read it years ago and just finished re-reading it. Fascinating story of someone willing to follow wherever God will lead them, even if it's out of the more comfortable life they've known and into some really difficult circumstances. Just such an honest and non-sentimental look at what it means to be a disciple of Jesus, figuring out and following your vocation, working with the poor, prison ministry, the death penalty, and really just how to love and to forgive, especially in some of the hardest circumstances to do that in. So good.

"Opening the Bible" by Thomas Merton - Really small book packed with some incredible wisdom and truth. I've read this a couple of times before, but will probably continue to do so once or twice a year. This book, along with the retreat I'm currently taking part in, has me reading the Bible in a more serious and consistent way than I ever have before.

"The Real Jesus" by Luke Timothy Johnson - Very academic, but very good. It was written after all of those books by the Jesus Seminar folks started getting published. Johnson really takes them to task for shoddy scholarship in the first part of the book, and then proceeds to look at the person of Jesus through what the historical critical method can teach us, and then through faith and tradition, and how they relate. Fascinating stuff.

dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by dave Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Ohh, there's one more!

"New Seeds of Contemplation" by Thomas Merton - this book kind of rocked my world (in a good way). Insights that kind of hit me in my core and really had immediate impacts on my life and faith. Another book that I'll be re-reading often.
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 pm

man, I wish I was at a deep point in my life...I read nothing but trash lately. I just finished Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn. Good book, but it is not for the weak in stomach. I am now reading her first book, Sharp Objects.

Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7